Sunday, November 28, 2004

Goodbye Tutu Singh

I remember the first time I saw Tootsie. A tiny black nose on a tiny white face sticking out of my mother’s black shawl. Eyes covered by his hair. At first I didn’t even notice him. I was not expecting a pup cradled in my father’s arms. I had yearned for a little “bow wow” for years but my parents always had reasons for not owning a doggie “right” now. And finally there he was, the most adorable tiny thing God ever made. My parents had meant Tootsie to be a complete surprise and basically to help us tide over the recent loss of our pet rabbit - Ruby.

As we whooped in joy, Tootsie shrunk further under the folds of my mother’s shawl, shivering in fear. His initial fear soon turned into an unending curiosity about everything around him. He grew up totally spoiled, loved and cosseted.

His favorite activity was gardening. When Dad pulled out the weeds, he wanted to help. One day while we were gone, he proceeded to pull up every azalea in the back yard. When we came home, we could only laugh at the green tumbleweeds rolling around on the lawn. When Dad had to landscape, he always was there to help, digging holes in the oddest places then looking at an infuriated Dad as if to say, "I did a good job, didn't I?!"

I still remember the expression on his face when he barked for the first time. I think he had thought that when he finally opened his mouth he would speak English and Hindi like we did. To say he was surprised would be an understatement. He was shocked! He looked around to see where the strange sound had come from. He barked in frustration when he could not figure out what was happening. It was then that he realised that it was he himself who was barking. I think he went into a teeny-weenie depression after that. But he came out of it. Like he did every time.

Like the time when he saw the big dogs in the vicinity lifting their legs to pee and tried the same but fell flat on his face. He couldn’t figure out for a long time how the others managed to pee on 3 legs.

Like the time when he tried to eat peppermint balls and ended up having a sneezing bout. Eating was quite possibly his favorite pastime (next to terrorizing the cat next door). He always ate the wierdest things: rocks, sticks, leaves, carrots, even karela (bitter gourd) was not below his taste.

Like the time he was happily chasing birds and fell into a drain, which he didn’t see coz he was watching the birds in the sky

Like the time when he grew deaf and blind and yet learned to navigate his way around the house.

Mom called today to inform me that Tutu passed away sometime early this morning. I’d like to think that he came out of this as well. Painlessly and peacefully in his sleep. My only wish I could have been there by Tootsie’s side like he was always there for me. My best friend!

Tootsie, my sweetest darling, I hope there are carrots and dog-chews in heaven.